5 Great Tequila Cocktails That AREN’T Margaritas
Margaritas aren’t for everyone, but with Cinco De Mayo here, they’ll be ordered and mixed more often than usual. But what if you’re not a fan of margaritas? We drank em like water in college, but there’s something about getting older that makes the tolerance for Margaritas lower and lower. Maybe it’s the bars and bartenders that have gotten so lazy they just mix green crap with tequila, put it in a pretty glass and call it a day… We want everyone to enjoy Cinco this year, so we’re sharing 5 awesome tequila cocktails thatthat aren’t margaritas for you to try. Maybe one of these will change your opinion on the spirit…
1) Paloma: The Paloma is my personal favorite tequila cocktail…
- 1 part Olmeca Altos Reposado
- 1 ½ parts grapefruit juice
- ¾ part sparkling water
- ¼ part agave syrup
- ¼ part lime juice
Build up all ingredients over ice and stir in a highball glass.
Photo Courtesy of Drizzle and Dip
2) The Mexican Mojito: (Pictured Above) I was put onto this drink by a bartender long ago at a Bonefish. Mojito’s were becoming very “pop culture” friendly, and it was getting a bit overdone. When I asked for a drink suggestion and was told “a mojito done right”, I gave it a shot and it’s not one of my favorites.
- 2 ounces Patron Silver
- 1/2 of a Lime
- 1/2 oz of Simple Syrup
- 1 ounce club soda
- 4 mint leaves for muddling
- 4 mint leaves for garnishing
- Lime wheels for garnishing
Combine tequila, mint leaves, sugar, and lime wedges in a tall glass; vigorously stir the mixture, crushing mint with the back of a spoon or muddler to release oils and squeezing juice from the lemon wedges. Top with club soda and stir gently to serve.
3) El Diablo: Another favorite, this one uses one of the most underrated mixers avaiilable, ginger beer. Dark N Stormy’s, Moscow Mules, and this sexy beast all use Ginger Beer and I love them all.
- 1 ½ oz Olmeca Altos Tequila
- ½ oz Creme de Cassis
- 1 lime wedge
- Ginger beer
4) Tequila Sunrise: What’s not to like about this? Tequila, fresh squeezed juice. It’s tropical, its tangy, and it’s got a nice kick. For the grenadine, I prefer real grenadine, that comes from pomegranates and not the red food colored artificial stuff…
- 1 1/2 ounces white tequila, iced
- 4 ounces cold, fresh orange juice
- Dash of grenadine
- Slice of orange
Pour the tequila into a chilled highball glass, followed by the orange juice. Float the grenadine on top, and garnish with an orange slice.
5) Bloody Maria: Ok i’ll be honest, i’ve never had this one. In fact, I’ve never had any cocktail that uses tomato, because I can’t stand them. Blood Mary’s are out of the question, but many live by them. And if you ask some, they’ll swear that by switching the vodka for tequila you’ll never use Vodka in a Blood Mary again, and then you’ve got a Bloody Maria.
- 2 oz Tomato Juice
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1 dash Celery Salt
- 1 dash Tabasco Sauce
- 1 dash Lemon Juice
- 1 slice of Lemon