7 Hangover Cures That actually work
St. Patrick’s day is Phenomenon in the U.S. Most of that is because its a great reason to drink. As fun as it is to pretend to be Irish, the worst part about it is the next day hangover many of us get because we didn’t know when to stop. Over the years a lot of hangover myths have popped up but usually fall flat of helping the pain.. Below we’ve gathered a few hangover remedies that actually work.
1. Drinking Electrolytes: (Gatorade/Powerade/Coconut Water) – Many have heard about this and its true it does work and here’s why. Sports drinks like Gatorade contain electrolytes to help replenish and restore your system levels. The sugar in the drink helps give you carbs for energy as well. If you’re looking for a more natural and healthy hangover remedy, coconut water is packed full of electrolytes as well.
2. Orange Juice: Good ole OJ. It does a bit of everything. It offers re-hydration pumps you full of Vitamin C to counter the nausea, and goes great with breakfast which if done right (protein from eggs) will all work to make your morning (or night) better.
3. Ginger Tea: Sounds like something grandma would recommend and she would be right. Ginger tea can help relieve the nausea and headache feelings you may experience after a night of drinking.
4.Exercise: Exercising is a bit tricky. Many swear by it, but the fact is exercise alone wont do the trick. Exercising to sweat it out while keeping yourself hydrated WILL help ease the feelings of a hangover.
5. Pickle Juice; Sounds crazy, but believe it or not the amount of electrolytes found on pickle juice makes it effective similar to coconut water, and many of the poplar sport drinks on the market.
6. Dry Toast: Toast eggs and OJ work together perfectly. We already mentioned why the eggs and OJ work but did we mention the toast actually helps to absorb the alcohol in your stomach and prevent vomiting? The more you know…
7. Sleep Sleep and more sleep: Nothing works much simpler then good ol’ fashioned sleep. A few extra hours or even minutes may be a luxury for many of us but, the fact is alcohol is metabolized at the rate of .015 of blood alcohol concentration, or roughly one drink every hour so sleeping through your body’s metabolizing process will make you feel better. But the key is to keep yourself hydrated once you wake up.
Preventative Cures for a Hangover:
Bananas: Eating bananas before heading out works because the potassium in the banana and its complex carbohydrates has a re-hydrating and coating effect on the intestines, helping you recover faster from the alcohol excess.
Pre-Hangover Liquids: There are several brands out, that come in a small bottle similar to a 5 hour energy drink, that claim to offer preventative ingredients to a hangover. We even reviewed one call Last Round Hangover Support and were very pleased to see that it does indeed work. HOWEVER, there are a lot on the market that DONT live up to the hype so I would suggest doing a bit of research before you go buying a pack and chugging these.
Hope these helped. There are a lot of false hangover remedies and myths out there so hopefully we helped make it more clear with a few that actually work to hopefully make today or future drinking experience a bit more pleasant.
For more great recipes, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or StumbleUpon to get our latest cocktail recipes, spirit reviews, and drink related news. For any questions, comments or concerns please email us at email@example.com