Calling all our bartender friends out there! In case you missed it, the Chivas Masters Global Competition is going on right now and the deadline to enter is approaching fast. Entry can win you a trip to NYC to compete in the Global Competition and the US Global winner is then off to Tales of the Cocktail for an exclusive experience with Chivas. If you’re looking to show off your skills and just how passionate you are, this is your chance. Rules are below, for official entry visit HERE
Cocktail Recipe Rules
- One video entry per person.
- Four recipes per video entry/ 1 recipe per era are mandatory!
- Entries must be in the form of a long or short drink, not a shot and be a minimum of 120ml (4oz) liquid volume.
- Entries should be submitted through the application provided below.
- Entry is limited to US Only.
- The Classic Age (1880 – 1920)
- The Post-War Boom (1945 – 1960)
- The Disco Years (1975 – 1990)
- The Age of Revivalism (Present)
- Drinks must not contain more than seven ingredients, including fruit juices, syrups, drops or dashes. Solid garnishes are not considered ingredients. It is acceptable to additionally spray a citrus fruit zest over the drink if specified as a garnish. With a few exceptions it is the simple drinks that have gone on to become ‘classics’, and due to this the judges will be instructed to favor simple drinks with fewer ingredients.
- Hot ingredients, premixes of any kind or home preparations are forbidden without advance written authority of the competition organizers. Competitors wishing to use these should submit their request at least 10 days before the day of competition but are advised to seek permission as soon as possible.
- Recipes which can be easily replicated are preferred so unless judges give advanced written authority (rule 5 above) ingredients must be readily/widely available proprietary products, fruit and commonly found bar products.
- Recipes must contain a minimum of 30ml (1oz) of the Chivas Regal where applicable and the total combined alcoholic ingredients must be equivalent to no more than 100ml (3.5oz) at 40%abv.
- Ingredients may be measured using a jigger or similar measure or freely poured.
- Recipes entered must be the original creation of the competitor and if a competitor is thought to have plagiarized a known, existing cocktail they will be disqualified.
- Recipes entered must be expressed in ‘shots’, ounces (US) or millimeters with the use of ‘dashes’ and/or ‘drops’ limited to bitters, hot pepper sauce and the like.
- Fruit juice quantities must also be stipulated, e.g. “squeeze of lime” is unacceptable.
- Garnishes must be edible but may be mounted on sticks, skewers, straws, forks or other such common bar accessories. Use of edible fruits, herbs, leaves and spices may include sprigs, peels, barks, fruit shells etc.
- Any flowers and petals used must be of an edible variety.
- Fruit for garnishes may be peeled in advance, sliced, wedged or pre-cut in any other way. Garnishes must be assembled within the five minute allotted drinks preparation time.
- By entering this competition, competitors agree to assign copyright of their recipe and drink name to the competition organizers.
- Competitors and drinks presented during the competition may be photographed (still or motion picture) by the organizers and copyright of these images for any use, including advertising, will be retained by the competition organizers.
- Drink names including rude, lurid, sexual words, or words associated with narcotics or motor vehicles are prohibited.
- The competition organizers reserve the right to have the final decision on any matter relating to the judging of the competition.
- The competition organizers will appoint the panel of judges and reserve the right to replace or appoint new judges before or during the competition.
- The judges must remain impartial and declare any vested interest they may have in the competition or competitors. They must judge each competitor on their competition presentation and drink alone.
- While every reasonable effort will be made, the competition organizers cannot guarantee the safe return of glassware, equipment or any product supplied by a competitor. Therefore competitors are advised to house their tools and product in bags/boxes which enable them to efficiently gather and hold their equipment and ingredients immediately after competing.
- Competitors considered by the organizer to be practicing or promoting any form of irresponsible drinking, including ‘shots’ will be disqualified and may be asked to leave the venue.
- Competitors must conduct themselves in a safe manner and any action considered by the organizers to endanger fellow competitors, judges or spectators will result in instant disqualification and possible ejection from the venue.
- Adam Kost
- Gio Martinez
- Max Warner
- Masa Urushido
- Ann Tuennerman
- Competition Begins: MARCH 16
- DEADLINE: APRIL 17
- Winner Announced: APRIL 27