How to Spike a Watermelon
Memorial day is right around the corner, and next think you know it will be the 4th of July, and then Labor day. Don’t let the Summer months slip by without trying this one. Today’s post is all about How to Spike a watermelon. Watermelon is a huge summertime favorite. It’s juicy, its sweet, and its the perfect outdoor snack. Now combine that with some of your favorite liquor and you’ve got an easy way to take a part to the next level. Now if you’ve never had a spiked watermelon (it’s not common everywhere) then let me be the first to inform you it..is.. DELICIOUS. Growing up in Chicago, the summer BBQ parties were notorious for spiked fruits and even spiked veggies. So if you’ve never done it, we’re going to show you how. Try it at home, or bring one to a friends party and watch you gain A LOT more friends overnight.
How To Spike a Watermelon: What you’ll need.
- 1 Bottle of Liquor (Vodka is most popular, but Bourbon, Gin, and Rum can be used as well.)
- 1 Funnel (optional, if you have something similar that works lying around)
- Cut a hole in the top of the watermelon, wide enough and deep enough to insert a small funnel. We’ve learned it’s best to make it a round hole rather than square or triangular to avoid cracking. Save the top, you’ll plug it back up later.
- Pour your liquor through the funnel a little at a time so that it may be absorbed. Replace your corked piece of watermelon and let it sit.
- Repeat the previous step until all of your spirit has been absorbed into the Watermelon. You should be able to get an entire 750ML bottle of liquor absorbed into the watermelon.
- Refrigerate for a few hours and serve chilled.
And now you have fresh spiked watermelon that just needs to be cut up and served. Now chances are some of you might be thinking, “well why not put in some flavored liqueur or spirit?” Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. No need to turn all mad scientist on this one. Save that one for Labor day. You can spike your watermelon with just about anything, but we suggest vodka, tequila, or a sweet bourbon. Hope you enjoyed this one, and feel free to leave us a comment to let us know how it turned out.