Celebrating National Amaretto Day with Disaronno
Happy Humpday! It’s only midway through the week, but if you’re looking for an excuse to drink, we’ve got a good one. April 19th is National Amaretto day, so we’ve got a couple of simple and delicious cocktails to help you celebrate. For those of us unfamiliar with the spirit, amaretto is a sweet, almond-flavored, Italian liqueur associated with Saronno, Italy. It’s used in a variety of ways in the kitchen and behind the bar. The Mrs. loves to add it to cake batter, frosting, and cookie dough. Behind the bar, it can be drunk by itself or added to a variety of mixes to make various cocktails. There are several brands on the market, but if you ask anyone to name a brand, they’ll almost certainly call out DISARONNO, the leader in the category, and also the source of the cocktails we’ll be sharing today.
Also, if you happen to be in Miami, Chicago, or San Francisco tomorrow, Disaronno will be out celebrating the holiday with bar tours in each city starting at 5 pm. Guests will experience specially crafted cocktails made with DISARONNO such as the famed DISARONNO Sour, the DISARONNO Sparkling Sour, The Godfather, and The Lunch Box. All you have to do to participate is visit one of these locations:
- Starting off at Money Gun at 5pm, DISARONNO Day enthusiasts will be transported via the DISARONNO Trolley to, Dolce, Godfrey Hotel Rooftop, Howl at The Moon, Flo & Santo, and Red Head Piano Bar
- Starting off at The Social Club at 5pm, DISARONNO Day enthusiasts can also visit as part of the official tour, The Regent Social Club, Lucali and Macchialina
- San Francisco:
- Starting off at Dirty Habit at 5pm, DISARONNO Day enthusiasts can also visit as part of the official tour, 54 Mint, Elixir, Blackthorn and Nihon Whiskey Lounge
- Starting off at Bourbon & Bones at 5pm, DISARONNO Day enthusiasts will be transported via the DISARONNO bus where participants can win prizes while trivia is played between stops at, Fat Ox, House Brasserie, Social Tap, The Rack, BS West, 2nd Story, The Gypsy, Lucky Strike, and Willie’s Taco Shop
- Del Ray:
- Starting off at City Oyster at 5pm, DISARONNO Day enthusiasts can also visit as part of the official tour, Caffé Martier, Salt, 32 East, Rock Burger, Luigi’s, and Tramonti
But if going out isn’t your thing, you can get the party started at home with the sour cocktails recipes below. If you’ve never had one, the Amaretto Sour is one of my favorite entry-level cocktails to make for someone looking to get their social drinking game started. And once you’ve graduated from that and want a slightly bigger kick, the Bourbon Sour is an awesome next step. Try them both and tell me what you think!
- 2 parts DISARONNO
- 1 part fresh lemon juice
- ¼ part simple syrup
Fill a Disaronno Sour Jar with ice. Pour in Disaronno and then the fresh lemon juice. Add a teaspoon of sugar. Stir and garnish with lemon slice.
- 1 oz. DISARONNO
- 1 oz. Bourbon
- 1 oz. Lemon Juice
- ½ oz. Simple Syrup
Shake all ingredients with ice, and pour in a highball glass with ice and garnish with a lemon or orange slice
HAPPY NATIONAL AMARETTO DAY!