- …..In the alcohol industry there are two things that will make or break your brand. One and possibly the most obvious would be great taste and the other, excellent marketing. Superior taste often goes unnoticed without the proper marketing tools to get the word out and likewise all the marketing in the world would be pointless if you’re pushing an inferior product; Enter Avion Tequila. Possibly the most genius marketing I’ve seen out of a liquor brand in quite some time. Though it may not be available in your area (yet), chances are you recognize the bottle and name because it was a mainstay on the popular HBO series “Entourage” for several episodes. And though its entertaining storyline on the show was a work of fiction, it’s existence and superior taste most certainly are not. So thanks to great advertising you’re already familiar with the tequila and hopefully with a little help from myself you can get to know it better.
Tequila Avion is handcrafted using only the finest Blue Weber Agave found in the highest regions of Jalisco. Though Mark Cuban would have been more interesting, Avion is the brainchild of Ken Austin, a former VP for Seagram’s who decided he wanted to take a shot in the tequila world. I recently was able to get my hand on a bottle of the Silver and was impressed with what I originally thought may just be a designer tequila throwing around big money in advertisements to make up for credibility. Boy was I wrong, not only with the taste but in my assumption they paid for their Entourage marketing. (It was Free product placement !)
Appearance: The bottle is nothing fancy and in fact a shape many are familiar with, short stubby and round. No knock here. One thing I do like is that they use a cork stopper which use to be common but is becoming more and more scarce with companies switching over to synthetic stoppers. Something about it makes it feel more authentic.
Aroma: Sweetness and floral notes hit you right on the nose. Also fruity tones of pineapple are apparent. Nothing gets you excited to eat or drink more than a great aroma enticing you to dig in.
Taste: At the end of the day whether you’re an expert or novice in the drinking field you want to know one thing; Is it smooth? One word, Yes. Smooth, balanced, and offers a bit of a bite to it that I was only prepared for because I was warned by a friend. It has a bit if a spicy/peppery bite to it which may scare some off but would most certainly make one hell of a Bloody Mary. If you haven’t tried a Bloody Mary with a super fine blanco tequila you are missing out by the way. This one is definitely a winner in my books and though I’ve only had the silver (not for long I hope), I think I can say with confidence this brand isn’t going anywhere anytime soon except in your cup. If you’re having doubts just ask yourself, has Vinny Chase or any of the Entourage boys every let you down? I think not.
- 1 ½ oz. Tequila Avión
- ½ oz. Gran Marnier
- ½ oz. White Cranberry Juice
- ½ oz. Fresh Sour Mix
- Splash of simple syrup
Add Ice Build all ingredients shake and strain. Served in a Martini or Rocks Glass. Garnish with a Raspberry and Mint Lea
Fresh Start Cocktail
- 1.5 oz Tequila Avion
- 1 oz Cointreau
- 2 lemon wedges
- 2 Lime wedges
- 1oz. Agave nectar
Muddle lemons and Limes in a shaker (Should be approx 1 oz of juice). Add ice and all Ingredients shake until ice cold and serve in a chilled Martini glass. Garnish with a lemon Twist and Lime wedge.
Avion Bloody Mary
- 1½ oz. Avion Silver
- 1 dash celery salt
- 1/2 dash ground black pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2-4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp. horseradish (pure, never creamed)
- Dash of lemon or lime juice
- Garnish with celery stalk
In a highball glass filled with ice fill glass with tomato juice or clamato and add ingredients.