Have you ever been at the bar watching a game, hanging with the guys, and enjoying yourself when in the background you can’t help but hear THIS conversation:
Bartender: What’s it gonna be
Guy: You got any specials?
Bartender: [Insert various specials babbling]
Guy: Let me just get a sex on the beach…
[Insert record scratch]
You turn around and give this guy the look that lets him know his man card is officially revoked. I know I know… This is 2013 right? Times have changed, society is more accepting of all sorts of things, but I’m sorry, that doesn’t make THIS ok. We’ve accepted the fact that there are movies out there known as “chick flicks” and that no man should be caught watching them alone/with guy friends, so why can’t we establish the same theory to chick drinks or girly drinks. Call me old-fashioned, call me shallow, but regardless of how your taste buds react to some combinations of liquids, sometimes you have to know when to hold them and when to fold them. Now I’ll be honest, there are always exceptions to the rule, and certain situations you just have prepare for. Are you out by yourself? Out with the guys? On a first date? Out with your wife? Maybe you’re on vacation where an umbrella in your drink and fruit in your beer is completely normal. All I’m saying is READ THE SIGNS. If you’re with the guys, there is no excuse…don’t order ANY of these for yourself, or any similar drinks. If you’re with your wife and you really like girly drinks, go ahead and let her order it. After all she probably knows you well enough not to judge. If it’s your first date and you order a girly drink in front of her, there most likely won’t be a second. Am I wrong ladies? Then there are those situations where you’re not ordering it for yourself, but in fact for your wife/date. In this case it’s completely fine, although depending on the surrounding you may need to prefix that drink order with “and she’s having the”. I don’t make the rules people, I just choose to enforce them. So without further ado, here are the top 10 Drinks a Man should NEVER order:
10. Alcoholic Sodas: Mikes Lemonade/ Bacardi Silver/ Smirnoff Ice etc
- I use to think these were pretty cool until I found out what alcohol is supposed to taste like. Now they’re nothing more than hard sodas for your girl to drink at the beach, or to get a quick buzz before she goes out. Never been a fan of pre-made drinks, and these just don’t taste very good (to me.). Tons of sugar, lots of carbonation, do yourself a favor and order a real drink.
9. Red Headed Slut [Shot]
- Say this one in your head before you think about ordering it. This one screams single girl, out with her friends, prepared to have a one night stand. If you see this one on the menu, or hear rumblings about how “good” it is, do yourself a favor and stay away.
8. Pina Colada:
- I’ll bet you are wondering if there are exceptions to this one? It’s pretty synonymous with tropical islands, paradise, and vacations so it may fall into the category of those situational drinks, but be prepared to explain yourself to the fellas when those pictures pop up on Facebook.
7. Strawberry Daiquiri:
- Years ago, the daiquiri was a serious mixed drink made famous by Ernest Hemmingway. Simple, tasty, and sophisticated. Perfectly normal for anyone to order. Now, try ordering one and your bartender throws a glass of frozen ice and artificial flavor in just about any flavor you can think up. I’ll pass, you should too.
- You know who orders Cosmos? Your wife when she goes out with her girls to gossip about you and your friends.
- Let this be clear, ordering a Martini is manly. James Bond helped make that happen. Ordering a flavored Martini, is you admitting you’re not man enough to have the original, and thus need to water it down with some fruity flavor. Way to go…
4. Lemon Drop
- It can be a shooter or it can be a martini… In either form, ordering one of this is likely to make your girl dump you, or your bros ditch you. Don’t be that guy. If you’re a fan of lemon flavor, take a clean shot of vodka and then bite on a lemon wedge. Same satisfaction, no loss of masculinity.
3. Amaretto Sour
- Amaretto Sours are for female college freshman. It’s popularity is in the fact that girls can get a buzz from it without realizing it and thus, enjoy their drinking experience. It’s soft, and sweet, and delicate. Do you think you as a man should be drinking something that is described that way? I didn’t think so. Move on.
2. Fuzzy Navel
- Peach schnapps, is something you got drunk on in high school when your parents thought you were at your buddies house and his parents thought he was at yours. Low on alcohol content, high on sugar, and even higher on femininity.
1. Sex on the Beach
- And then there was #1. Do we even need to get into with this one is a no-no? Don’t be fooled by the name. If you order one of these, you’ll most likely never have sex with ANY of the women in the room on the beach, in your bed, or any other location for that matter.
Oh and here’s another rule of thumb. If you can’t pronounce the drink, either A) don’t order it, or B) ask the bartender to pronounce it so you don’t butcher it and end up looking like a fool to either your friends, your date, or the bartender.
Hopefully no one takes this list TOO seriously. It’s meant to have some fun, spark a conversation and get a few laughs. So if you find yourself at the bar, and feel overly self conscious around your boys or your date, follow these rules to help you make it through the night.
For more updates on the latest brand launches, cocktail recipes, and industry news, make sure to Like Us On Facebook, or Follow us On Twitter.
photo credit: adactio via photopin cc
photo credit: ralph and jenny via photopin cc
I would beg to differ on the Amaretto Sour, that is if it is made with this recipe, from Jeffrey Morgenthaler, Clyde Common, Portland:
1 1/2 oz. amaretto (Lazzaroni is a good choice, avoid Disaronno to move even farther away from the nightclub/greek party version of the drink)
3/4 oz. cask-proof bourbon (such as Booker’s)
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. rich simple syrup (2:1)
1/2 oz. fresh egg white, beaten
Tools: shaker, strainer
Glass: Old Fashioned
Garnish: lemon peel and brandied cherry
Combine ingredients in a shaker and dry shake (no ice) to combine, then add ice and shake well. Strain into an Old Fashioned glass over ice cubes and garnish.
This ain’t your little sister’s sorority house Amaretto Sour…
Jeffrey is one of the best! I agree with your pick that his variation is indeed a winner. We were speaking more in the traditional sense of the cocktail. We also were just having some fun and spark a little debate. Thanks for sharing!
Portland. That’s like underlining the recommendation not to order one.
man you take the fun out of life!
No we add fun to it!
How are those drinks girly?
That’s just lame. If fruits (!) Make you feel “less of a man”, thats quiet sad. Hope your’e doing better now and gained a broader preception about masculinity..
Well done, sir.
You only live once! if you keep living there life how will you have time to be who YOU are? Your living what they expect of you and not the REAL you.
This piece was more meant to spark conversation and get a few laughs… no need to take it to heart. Have an apple-tini and enjoy your life!
OKAY is the scorpon drink a sweet drink?
I have see its a drink that needs to be drunk with friends
The Scorpion is one of those drinks that is sweet but packs HUGE PUNCH. It’s a tropical drink that has 3 types of liquors (light rum, dark rum, brandy) along with triple sec and OJ. Go for it!
How sweet like a toasted almond or a quick F*ck? plus why did they name it that?
Well both of those are sweet in a dessert like manner, while a Scorpion would be more sweetened from citrus and fruit flavors.
So the scoprion would be more vodka with a hint of strawberry
Personally I dont want to have sex with girls that getting sex on the beach isnt a problem!
My feelings exactly. I was bartender 18 years and never could understand why a dude would wanna make himself look like a wussy by the drink he orders. Might as well be a Shirley Temple LOL!!!
why are you judging another guy you wouldnt for a GIRL!
Girls can wear pants guys cant wear a kilt?
Love the list. Honestly if I hear one more order for a QF or a wet pussy I’m going to scream.
Though a lot of these drinks still hold a special place in my heart. I thought I was a genius the first time I found out how to make a mojito. It’s part of growing up I guess. Like losing your virginity you’re not going to drink with a lot of dignity or class the first time but slowly you get better.
So order these drinks a couple of times if you must. Honestly they’re ‘okay’ and others be damned! BUT trust the people around you when they say there’s more, much more. So don’t be the kid that’s still eating raw sugar when you could have chocolate cake. Expand the flavour, explore and I guarantee you’ll find new favourites that eclipse the old ones. With the added bonus that they don’t make you look like you’re still 16.
BTW: Hemmingway Daiquiri still a classic
dude wake up , free world drink what you want!!!!
These so called “girly drinks” cover up by the taste of fruit but these things will have you TRASHED in minutes. One second you’re fine then the next you’re laying over the balcony of some random person’s house throwing up your own stomach.
Very True! Be careful ladies and gentlemen!
The only way your man card should be revoked is if you let a drink list based on someone’s else’s opinion of manliness affect your drink choices.
All in good fun, thanks for stopping by!
Coming from a… person.. with pink dreds.
Exactly right. How fragile does one’s masculinity have to be to think that there’s even such a thing as “girly” drinks? Go drink your grape juice and have a lie down, bud, I’ll be over here drinking actual alcohol.
What kind of sad bullshit is this ‘article’
One that got your attention!
I was just curious who would be so sexist to post this, and to read comments xD
This SCREAMS fragile masculinity. As a woman, I actually find it more attractive when a man doesn’t feel the need to drink certain drinks in order to appear more “masculine”. Some of you blokes are really insecure. If you’re not picking up chicks then I’m going to say that it’s because you’re writing/ reading articles like this and not because you ordered a pina colada. If your mates are giving you shit then you’ve got shit mates.
This list is hilarious. click bait, but hilarious.